The Fourth Day

Where blood is no thicker than water.

HomePortalCalendarSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
"part of me prefers just thinking Links a dumbass. if i wanted to summon the apocalypse and destroy Hyrule id built a little fence around myself and theres not a god damn thing he can do about it" - Naomi
Welcome to the Fourth Day, where everything's made up and the points don't matter.
That's right, the points are like Drae's opinion.
Colors are now freely available, PM Drae to ask him for yours!

Share | 

Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Darc
Booty Warrior
Booty Warrior

Friendliness : 1107

PostSubject: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 am

So yeah, this doesn't qualify as a forum game but it's related to one, so I figured it'd fit in the largely deprecated Game Corner Topic. If it doesn't, well, I have no objections to this getting moved to a more appropriate location.

Essentially, I'll drop in from time to time and dump some notes for CQ here, and I'm asking for people's opinions on "Update Post X", "Character Y", "Scenario Z", and "Gameplay Mechanic Eleventysix".

Since I want to make Cancellation Quest as fine a Reader-Input Story as possible, I will take your reviews into honest consideration.

Also, non-gamebreaking notes.

============================================================================

Cancellation Quest actually got its start a little over a month prior to the initial post here on DF.

The story was radically different at the time. Heck, Darc wasn't even a character!

It was initially a quest thread I intended to start on /tg/ or anonkun, but got self-conscious and decided against it with the mindset of "It's not even that good of an idea!"

It highlighted the tale of Fisher King, a scientist working under Lumere in Legion's R&D Department. The title is rooted from his contract recently becoming at risk for cancellation. The "quest" came in the form of the miscellaneous tasks Fisher was willing to perform to keep his contract valid and his paycheck high.

It wasn't nearly as goofy or whimsical as the Cancellation Quest you all know, since in some notes for the plot, it included a large number of early bad-ends. Most of these involved Fisher brutally dying in some way or another.

It was very grimdark, to say the least.

A month later, and only a few minor details survived long enough for me to get over my very unmanly stage fright and start with the Cancellation Quest you know from the actual quest thread.

============================================================================

How has CQ shaped up since then? Please do tell!

Last edited by Darc on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Preschooler Florian
AFSDFHWEGWODJA
AFSDFHWEGWODJA

Friendliness : 1167

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:42 pm

The story is great, and its deeper than people see with your behind the scenes shenanigans.

My Life Spent on Anime -
Spoiler:

My RPG- The Sequel

SELECT serial_code
FROM database
WHERE code='data'
ORDER BY aggressive_combat_data
HAVING terminate_mode
Target name BEN, hostility confirmed. Disconnecting target's digital information
interface."
Back to top Go down
http://day-four.forumotion.net/forum
Zalty
➳ ➳ ➳ ┌( ⁰△⁰)┘
➳ ➳ ➳  ┌( ⁰△⁰)┘

Friendliness : 3637

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:20 pm

I love the quirky silliness of it. It gives a new light on our unnamed manga's villain. I kinda feel bad opposing him now, haha.

Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten.”
-Cree Indian Prophecy

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Back to top Go down
http://draezeth.deviantart.com/
Soulless Dragon
No-Life
No-Life

Friendliness : 886

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:28 pm

The whimsical story is good and I personally enjoy it, but I think its the user submission that makes it whimsical, perhaps what if the story had a little more direction and the input decided more of where it followed?
Back to top Go down
Darc
Booty Warrior
Booty Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:36 pm

http://titanpad.com/YiGlZSqGIp - User Updated Character Sheet. Currently using the 9/9/13 updates.

Consistency Checked every Friday.
Back to top Go down
Darc
Booty Warrior
Booty Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Another review request, more notes.

==========================================================================
The Codex Society was initially the BBEG organization for CQ, though their name at the time of conception was the extremely lame 'Outsider Knights'. I initially wanted them to be similar to Braniac from DC. They want ALL THE DATA, and would go to any length to acquire it.

However, an alliance of seemingly omniscient scholars left much to be desired as villains when I got down to nit picking about them. Now they provide the ever important Codexes you and I take for granted when it's time for exposition. Though it's not really all that important, the Journal of Exposition is another of their fine creations.

So, opinions about the latest few updates? I'd like things to be really constructive, explaining where I'm lacking, where I'm excelling, ect.
Back to top Go down
Soulless Dragon
No-Life
No-Life

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:35 pm

The entire battle being shown the way it was, was very good, but I felt that perhaps it could use slightly more description for example;

Bolt I - Sends an electrical attack at the opponent, can cause the STUN effect. Cost: 10 CON.

Rather than just simply 'Bolt I'.

That is my input for now that I can think of right now and I can certainly say that I am enjoying it greatly.
Back to top Go down
Darc
Booty Warrior
Booty Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:31 pm

^^Noted. I didn't really plan exactly what skills did in advance, so I just winged it with a roll table I cooked up at the last minute.

Also, more notes.
There was actually an actual fifth stat in CQ. No, I'm not referring to STAT. The fifth stat was DURABILITY, shortened to DUR.

It was originally VIG + DUR + (PIZ/2) * 10 = MOTIVATION, and CONCENTRATION used KNK, WIT, and PIZ.

Between DUR sounding really stupid for a stat and that the above calculations can't really be done on the fly, DURABILITY was shot down very quickly.

Legion's Inner Circle each had a member to correspond to each stat, you can likely guess who's who, but Ahriman was initially DUR and Grosse was initially KNK. Now Grosse functions as an all-around character, and because of you guys and your chosen development line of balanced stats, it made sense to put Darc under Grosse. Had you put more focus on one stat over the others, you would have had a totally different Handler and by effect, a totally different story.
Back to top Go down
Aka
➳ ➳ ➳ ┌( ⁰△⁰)┘
➳ ➳ ➳  ┌( ⁰△⁰)┘

Friendliness : 3235

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:28 pm

That's interesting to know. Why did you pick Grosse over the others??

♫ You think you'll win, but soon you'll see, you may beat some, but you can't beat me ♫
Back to top Go down
http://akashikasbooksblog.com
Darc
Booty Warrior
Booty Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:25 pm

>That's interesting to know. Why did you pick Grosse over the others??

Are you speaking in reference to picking Grosse as balanced distribution, or picking Grosse as Darc's Handler? I guess I'll answer both, to save post counts.

Why Grosse is balanced:

Why Grosse is Darc's Handler:

Back to top Go down
Soulless Dragon
No-Life
No-Life

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:56 pm

So we could have had Ahriman's glorious all caps this entire time, damn. On another note, I believe it has been just myself maintaining the titanpad of information, has it been checked regularly, is it accurate enough, etc.?
Back to top Go down
Darc
Booty Warrior
Booty Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:47 pm

>So we could have had Ahriman's glorious all caps this entire time, damn. On another note, I believe it has been just myself maintaining the titanpad of information, has it been checked regularly, is it accurate enough, etc.?

I ran a check on Friday, and from what I saw, matched my own sheet, save for a lack of unorganized notes.

I'll be checking the sheet again this coming Friday, assuming there's been any progress that required an update to the sheet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes   

Back to top Go down

Cancellation Quest - Discussion/Notes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1